Up to 500 Humboldt Research Fellowships are available for experienced researchers to carry out a long-term research project (6-18 months) at a research institution in Germany , Scientists and scholars of all nationalities and disciplines may apply.
Humboldt Research Fellowships
A Humboldt Research Fellowship for experienced researchers allows you to carry out long-term research (6-18 months) in Germany. Applicants choose their own topic of research and their academic host , The fellowship is flexible and can be divided up into as many as three stays within three years.
Scholars in the humanities or social sciences and physicians must have a good knowledge of German if it is necessary to carry out the research successfully , otherwise a good knowledge of English; scientists and engineers must have a good knowledge of German or English.
Level of Study
Fellowships are available for experienced researchers to carry out a long-term research project (6-18 months) at a research institution in Germany.
Fields of study
Applicants choose their own research projects and their host in Germany and prepare their research plan independently. Details of the research project and the time schedule must be agreed upon with the prospective host in advance.
Benefits of fellowships
The fellowship is worth 3,150 EUR per month. This includes a mobility lump sum and a contribution towards health and liability insurance.
Additional benefits for research fellows:
- lump sum for the fellow’s travel expenses if the costs are not borne by a third party,
language fellowship for an intensive language course lasting two to four months at selected language institutes in Germany immediately prior to the actual period of research.
- language fellowships may also be granted to accompanying marital partners.
- family allowances for accompanying family members staying at least three months (monthly allowance: up to 326 EUR for marital partners and up to 234 EUR for each child).
- for single-parents: flat-rate allowance for accompanying children (under the age of 18) forstays of at least three months (400 EUR per month for the first child and 100 EUR per month for every additional child).
- additional extension of the fellowship up to 12 month for research fellows accompanied by children under the age of 12.
- a subsidy towards research costs to be paid to the hosts in Germany amounting to 800 EUR per month (for research in the natural sciences and engineering) and 500 EUR (for research in the humanities and social sciences).
- Europe allowance for a research stay at a research institute in another European country (though not the research fellow’s own country); for a designated period in the course of the fellowship if necessary to ensure the success of the research.
- extensive alumni sponsorship once a successful research stay has come to an end, especially for maintaining contacts with collaborative partners in Germany during the Humboldtian’s entire academic career.
Eligibility for the fellowships
- Doctorate or comparable academic degree (Ph.D., C.Sc. or equivalent), completed less than twelve years prior to the date of application. If it is not possible or customary to take a doctorate in the candidate’s subject or country, an application may be submitted up to 16 years after completing a Master’s or Diploma degree, provided that the publication record is commensurate with the candidate’s career stage.
- The candidate’s own research profile documented by a comprehensive list of academic publications reviewed according to international standards and printed in journals and/or by publishing houses.
- Confirmation that research facilities are available and mentoring agreement and a detailed expert’s statement by an academic host at a research institution in Germany.
- Three expert reviews from important collaborative partners and/or academics from the candidate’s own institute and, if possible, from abroad.
- Necessary language skills: humanities or social sciences and medicine: good knowledge of German if it is necessary to carry out the research successfully; otherwise a good knowledge of English; natural sciences and engineering: good knowledge of German or English. Potential applicants who have been in Germany for more than six months at the time of application are not eligible to apply.
How to Apply
Applications should visit the official website (below).
Deadline of scholarships
The selection committee meets three times a year, in March, July and November.
Application, info and source
for more info visit the official website.
Thank you for reading if you are interested in scholarships and opportunities this is a new group we keep posting about scholarships and more.